A pocket knife sharpener is a handy tool to have around, especially if you use your pocketknife regularly. But with so many different types and models of sharpeners on the market, it can be difficult to determine which one is right for you. In this blog post, we will discuss the best pocket knife sharpener models and help you decide which one suit you best. Stay safe and keep your knives sharp!
- What is a Pocket Knife Sharpener
- Why You Should Own A Pocket Knife Sharpener
- Best Pocket Knife Sharpener Reviewed
- #1 SHARPAL 101N 6-In-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener & Survival Tool
- #2 Smith’S Abrasives Pp1 Pocket Sharpener
- #3 Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener
- #4 Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener
- #5 Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic
- #6 Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener
- #7 Smith’s 50979 Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener
- #8 Mueller Original Premium Hunting Knife Sharpener
- How To Choose The Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
What is a Pocket Knife Sharpener
A pocket knife sharpener is a very important tool for those who carry their own pocket knives. It enables them to keep their blades as sharp as possible throughout the day by just using this easy-to-use machine.
There are different kinds of pocket knife sharpeners available in the market that one can choose from depending on the type of blade they have. Pocket knife sharpeners can be wall mounted, bench mount or hand held. Handheld models are good to use while you are at your hunting site, whereas bench mounts are used more often than not at home. Wall mounted ones, however, need wall space so it has to be fixed up at some convenient place rather than being carried around with ease during outdoor excursions.
The spinning disk in this pocket knife sharpener is made of either metal or ceramic. A stainless steel rotating disk is good for heavy duty knives whereas the ceramic ones are more suitable for light weight blades. Ceramic options can be a little tricky to use, but once you get used to it, there would not be any difficulty at all. You need to choose between a V-type or T-type sharpener that depends upon the shape of your blade’s end. The former one shows up standard triangular-shaped ends while the latter accommodates flat ends. So read the instructions carefully before installing it properly on its base and start using it to make dull edges look razor sharp again!
Why You Should Own A Pocket Knife Sharpener
There are several types of pocket knife sharpeners available on the market, from small handheld devices that attach directly onto your blades with ease to larger stool-mounted ones. No matter what kind of sharpening tool you choose, you’ll enjoy the convenience of being able to restore your blades to their former glory without having to drive to a professional sharpener or taking up precious counter space at home.
- Ease of use – Pocket knife sharpeners are easy to use and don’t require any special skills or knowledge. All you need to do is hold the blade at the correct angle and run it through the sharpener a few times.
- Convenience – A pocket knife sharpener is an incredibly convenient tool to have on hand, whether you’re camping, hiking, fishing, or just working in the garden. You never know when you might need to sharpen a blade, and it’s much easier to do so when you have a sharpener nearby
- Portability – Pocket knife sharpeners are small and lightweight, so they’re easy to carry with you wherever you go. This is especially useful if you tend to do a lot of outdoor activities or work with your hands in a professional capacity.
- Versatility – Pocket knife sharpeners can be used to sharpen a variety of blades, including kitchen knives, scissors, and lawnmower blades. So if you own multiple types of knives or blades, a pocket knife sharpener is an essential addition to your toolkit.
- Affordability – Pocket knife sharpeners are generally affordable, and some even come with a lifetime warranty. This makes them a cost-effective way to keep all of your blades in top condition.
So, if you’re looking for an easy, convenient, and affordable way to keep all of your blades sharp, then a pocket knife sharpener is the tool for you!
Best Pocket Knife Sharpener Reviewed
The SHARPAL 101N is a reliable, simple, and effective best pocket knife sharpener that has been field tested to the highest standards. It features a V-shaped notch design with carbide blades to quickly set a new edge for your very dull or damaged blade.
The two ceramic stones are also preset at optimal sharpening angle so it can easily restore a smooth finished edge on a fine blade. This pocket knife sharpener works great on straight edge as well as serrated knives – not only for kitchen chef knives but also fishing hooks and other tools!
With its convenient size and weight of just 0.1 pounds, carrying this best pocket knife sharpener in your backpack with you will help ensure that you’ll never be without a sharp blade.
In addition to the best pocket knife sharpener, this unit is equipped with a Ferrocerium rod which can be used as a flint to start a fire. The SHARPAL also includes a lanyard hole for easy carrying and an emergency whistle that can produce up to 100DB of sound.
The SHARPAL 101N is a great value for the money and offers essential features in a compact and lightweight design. It is perfect for everyday carry or as an essential piece of gear for your next outdoor excursion.
#2 Smith’S Abrasives Pp1 Pocket Sharpener
The Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Hunting Knife Sharpener is the perfect tool for any hunter. This pocket sharpener features carbide blades and ceramic stones to quickly set your blade, as well as replaceable carbide and ceramic stones to extend the sharpening power. The PP1 hunting knife sharpener also has preset sharpening angles which provide guaranteed results, allowing users to achieve a quality edge every time.
Carbide blades included – Coarse CARBIDE slot for use on serrated or standard edges. Ceramic stones included – Fine CERAMIC slot gives razor-sharp edge to knives with fine edges. Carabiner hole included, so you can take it everywhere you go; featuring lanyard holes for easy carrying. Lanyard hole for carrying.
The Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Hunting Knife Sharpener is a must-have for any hunter, providing an easy and convenient way to keep knives sharp and ready for action. However, there are some drawbacks.
First, the PP1 does not work well on extremely dull blades; it may take a few extra passes to get a really sharp edge. Second, the carbide blades can be a bit too aggressive on softer metals, meaning that they can quickly wear down the blade if used improperly.
Despite these small drawbacks, the Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Hunting Knife Sharpener is still the best pocket knife sharpener available and is perfect for keeping your knives in top condition while hunting or outdoors.
#3 Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener
The Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener is ideal for sharpening a wide variety of knives. The knife sharpener can quickly sharpen very dull or damaged blades, from hunting and pocket knives to kitchen cutlery.
Two stage sharpening allows the user to easily maintain standard knives (coarse and fine), as well as serrated blade styles (fixed angle). In addition, the knife sharpener can be used to keep all your knives razor-sharp with adjustable angles that range from 14 degree/side to 24 degree/side.
Lastly, soft grip handle and non-slip rubber feet ensure easy and safe use while replaceable abrasive components allow for extended product life.
#4 Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener
The Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener is the complete sharpening solution for hunters, fishermen, and adventurers who need to keep an edge on their blades in the field. The field sharpening kit contains all of the necessary components to produce a keen blade at home, in camp or over rough terrain while hunting or fishing.
The Work Sharp’s diamond plates are removable for quick cleaning and can be flipped over during transport. The ceramic honing rod rotates to expose both coarse and fine honing surfaces as well as a grooved surface for sharpening fish hooks. A second ceramic rod is used for serrated edges.
This tool has five pre-set sharpening angles with 20° being suggested for use with the diamond plates and 25° recommended for honing a strong micro-bevel. This product is proudly manufactured in the USA by a 4th generation American family company.
#5 Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic
The Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic is the first Lansky knife sharpener designed specifically to put a professional, working edge on virtually any kind of cutting tool or knife. It includes all of the components needed for outdoor use as well as indoor applications.
These include three tungsten carbide blades and three ceramic rods that have been pre-set at 22 ½ degrees inclusive angle for fast reconditioning and maintenance that only requires 3 or 4 strokes.
Theses elements are housed in a compact, lightweight enclosure with a lanyard hole so it can be easily worn on your belt for quick access anytime you need it–hiking, camping, fishing, hunting etc.
#6 Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener
The Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener is a versatile and adjustable sharpener that can quickly restore a sharp edge to your pocket knives. The angle guide can be adjusted from 15° to 30° in 1° increment, making it easy to sharpen any knife.
The Tri-Brasive rod features both coarse and fine diamond plates as well as a fine grit ceramic stone, allowing you to quickly sharpen any knife. The V Block clamp quickly and safely secures the knife for consistent results. The sharpening base provides a stable platform for precision sharpening.
While the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener is an excellent sharpener, it does have some drawbacks. First, the angle guide is not very durable and may break with extended use. Second, the Tri-Brasive rod can be a bit difficult to change between grits.
Despite these drawbacks, the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener is an excellent sharpener for the price and is sure to quickly sharpen any knife.
The Smith’s 50979 Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener is a great pocket knife sharpener for those who want an easy-to-use and compact sharpener. This sharpener features a ceramic (fine) sharpening slot and a carbide (coarse) sharpening slot, making it ideal for quickly sharpening most types of knives. Additionally, the diamond coated sharpening rod will help keep your blades razor-sharp.
The only drawback to this sharpener is that it doesn’t have a multi angle feature, meaning that you can only sharpen your knives at certain angles. However, the G10 handle makes it easy to hold and the lanyard hole allows you to carry it with you wherever you go.
#8 Mueller Original Premium Hunting Knife Sharpener
This Mueller knife sharpener is a great choice for anyone looking for an easy to use and compact option. The four stage system makes it ideal for sharpening a variety of knives, and the 100% fine diamond abrasives result in a razor-sharp blade in seconds.
The ergonomic design is comfortable to hold and easy to even those that are very dull or damaged, intouse, even for left- a smooth clean blade with a professional grade finish.
The first stage is a coarse slot for reshaping the bevel of the blade. Then there is a medium slot for working out nicks and chips or getting rid of scratches on yourhanded users, and the sharpener is safe to use on all types of blades.
However, some customers have found that the Mueller knife sharpener can be a bit difficult to use on kitchen shears. Overall, this is an excellent knife sharpener that is sure to meet the needs of most users.
How To Choose The Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
Pocket knife sharpeners come in all shapes and sizes, so it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Here are five features to consider when shopping for a pocket knife sharpener:
- Size: The first thing to consider when purchasing a pocket knife sharpener is its size. Some sharpeners are small enough to fit in your pocket, while others are larger and require storage space. If you plan to carry your sharpener with you on a regular basis, make sure it’s small and portable.
- Ease of Use: Next, consider how easy the sharpener is to use. Some models have complicated mechanisms that can be difficult to operate. If you’re inexperienced with sharpening, choose a pocket sharpener that’s simple to operate.
- Durability: It’s also important to consider the durability of your sharpener before purchase. How often are you going to use it? If you plan on using your sharpener frequently, look for one that will hold up well over time.
- Blade Sharpness: When looking for a pocket knife sharpener, consider how long it will take to give your blade an edge after each use. Some sharpeners require multiple stages of use before creating a fine edge on blades, while others create this edge in one step. Your choice may depend on what kind of blade you have and how much time you have available every day.
- Price: Finally, consider your budget before purchasing a pocket knife sharpener. It’s helpful to set a price range before browsing different options online or in-store. If you can’t find the exact sharpener you’re looking for within your price range, search for something similar or upgrade to a higher quality item if you need to.
Can I use Pocket Knife Sharpener on my kitchen knives?
Pocket Knife Sharpeners are not typically used on Kitchen Knives because they are larger and have a curved blade. Kitchen knives require a honing rod which is more oval or curved in shape as oppose to the two crossed carbide blades of a pocket knife sharpener.
When should I use a Pocket Knife Sharpener?
Typically you should use a pocket knife sharpener on small knives with plain edges. A good example would be Swiss Army Knives which have plain edged blades. They are simple tools with a plain straight edge blade.
What is a serrated Pocket Knife Sharpener?
A Serrated pocket knife is a knife with a blade having one or more “teeth” per cm. These knives typically have an indentation down the middle (see spine). A sharpening stone or any other type of sharpener will not sharpen these kinds of knives because it only gets one side of the blade at a time and has no teeth to hold on to it. These types of knives require speciality products like Diamond Sharpeners which get both sides at once, but you can use either sandpaper on a flat surface or even glass like mentioned above.
What type of blade does Pocket Knife Sharpener work on?
Typically, pocket knife sharpeners are for small knives with plain edges which means they will not sharpen serrated blades or ceramic blades.
Ceramic blades can only be sharpened by using industrial adhesives to bond new particles onto the edge of the blade. Currently there is no hand held device that can do this effectively. You can try to sharpen your ceramic blade on either sandpaper on a flat surface or glass as mentioned before but it is not recommended because you might damage your ceramic bladed knife.
Serrated Blades are more difficult than plain edged blades because they have teeth so therefore it is recommended to take them to a professional knife sharpener.
In conclusion, should you buy a Pocket Knife Sharpener? The answer is most definitely yes! Not only are they beneficial for keeping your knives in good condition, but they’re also incredibly easy and convenient to use. Plus, they’re typically quite affordable, so there’s really no reason not to get one.